Applying For A Gender Recognition Certificate

Gender Recognition Process

If you have any questions about this process or need help with completing the application form, please contact the Department Of Social Services – Client Identity Services on +353 (0)71 967 2588.

The Gender Recognition Act allows all individuals over the age of 18 to self-declare their own gender identity. Young people aged 16-17 can also be legally recognised, though the process is more onerous. A copy of the Act can be found here.

(The Gender Recognition Certificate application form and further information on the application process is available on the Department of Social Protection’s website).

Aged 16 to 17?

Forms needed to apply to the Circuit Family Court for a GRC on behalf of those 16 to 17 years of age may be found here (applicant) and here (consent).

Sittings of the Circuit Court can be found here.Getting a form to start the process has never been easier, just click below to see what options are available to you.

How to get a form


Click here to get a PDF copy.


1890 927 999

Get Application Form By Post:

Client Identity Services
Department of Social Protection
Shannon Lodge
Co. Leitrim
N41 KD81

Who can apply?

Anyone whose birth has been recorded in either the register of births or the adopted children register maintained by the General Register Office.
anyone registered on the foreign birth register maintained by the Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade.
anyone who is ordinarily resident in Ireland.
(along with one of the above) is at least 18 years of age on the date of application.

Application requirements

  • Your PPS Number (find out how to apply).
  • Your completed GRC1 form (get your copy).
  • Your birth certificate or adoption certificate.
  • Proof of residency in Ireland, if you were not born in Ireland.
  • If you are aged between 16 and 18, a Court Order from the Circuit Family Court exempting you from the requirement to be at least 18 years of age in order to apply for a Gender Recognition Certificate.
  • If you want your gender recognition certificate to be issued in your new name (a different name to that on your birth certificate), you must provide details of the forename and surname you wish to use.
    Please note: The current GRC 1 form states ‘If you wish to have a name other than that on your original birth certificate shown on the Gender Recognition Certificate, we require evidence of “use and repute” over two years or a Deed Poll for a change of name which has been enrolled in the High Court.’ This form is currently being reviewed. In the meantime, it is no longer a requirement to provide proof that you have used this new name for over 2 years, or a deed poll for a change of name.

How to apply

  • Complete the GRC1 application form.
  • Sign the declaration at part 2 of the form and have it witnessed by one of the following: Peace Commissioner, Notary Public, Commissioner for Oaths or Solicitor.
  • Attach the required documents listed above.
  • Post the completed form to: Client Identity Services, Department of Social Protection, Shannon Lodge, Carrick-on-Shannon, Co. Leitrim, N41 KD81.